Indian Head Massage (or Champissage) is based on the ancient Ayurvedic healing system which has been passed down from generation to generation within ancient India. It is a holistic therapy incorporating the mind, body and spirit.
The treatment has been practised in India for over a thousand years, originally to keep hair in beautiful condition by stimulating blood flow to the scalp, thus nourishing the hair roots. A variety of herbs, spices and oils with known healing properties were used in the process which gave the added benefit of relieving a number of common scalp conditions. Originally it was almost exclusively concerned with massage of the head and hair follicles, although over time it has developed to incorporate massage and manipulation of the face, scalp, neck, upper back, shoulders and upper arms as is seen in the modern embodiment of the therapy.
The Benefits of Indian Head Massage
- Relieve of muscle tension and improvement with mobility in the upper body and neck
- Stimulation and improvement of circulation around the head and neck area assisting with exchange of carbon dioxide nutrients and oxygen
- Improvement of the Lymphatic drainage from the head and neck so assisting with the removal of toxins
- Reduction in congestion and a number of sinus related problems
- Revitalise and clear the mind with higher levels of alertness which in turn improves concentration and mental responsiveness?
- Balance the energy centres (Chakras) of the body through releasing pent up energy to help the body operate at its optimum capacity
- Relief of headaches, migraines
- Reduced to stress, mental tension and anxiety
- Improvement to alleviate insomnia
- Improvement to a deep and lasting sense of peace, calm and tranquillity
- Improvement of the condition of the scalp and hair
What happens during an Indian Head Treatment?
Indian Head Massage is simple yet very effective and consists of a combination of traditional and westernised techniques. Indian Head Massage is different from most other therapeutic massage in that it is applied through clothes to a client in a seated position and so there is no need for special equipment. A treatment consists of the head, neck, shoulders, upper back, arms and face being massaged.
This treatment is suitable for most people but there are certain conditions where a person has to avoid a treatment, therefore to find out if you are able to have a treatment I shall first complete a consultation with you to make sure the treatment is right for you.
I may require before I can treat you permission from your doctor because of a medical condition or medication you are receiving at present.
Please note that a confidential record shall be kept with any relevant notes so we can discuss your future treatments.