Pregnancy massage can be extremely beneficial and a wonderful complementary choice for prenatal care to you the individual throughout your pregnancy.
Pregnancy can bring about its own unique set of pains and tensions throughout the body. As the body expands, the centre of gravity in a woman changes which can trigger stress to new areas of the body. As your baby grows, your posture changes, ligaments and joints are being softened by the production of hormones, relaxing in preparation for your childbirth, it relaxes the ligaments in the pelvis and softens and widens the cervix.
Pregnancy massage uses a combination of a blend of different techniques to help promote overall wellness. Serotonin, endorphins and dopamine released by your body in response to massage provide an extra helping of those natural chemicals. Pregnant massage helps reduce stress on weight-bearing joints, encourages blood and lymphatic circulation, helping to relax nervous tension and aiding in better sleep.
The massage can help alleviate depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes. A healthy way to reduce stress, reduce oedema (swelling), backaches, stiff neck, leg cramps, headaches assisting to relieve your discomfort.
Benefits of pregnancy massage
- Alleviates muscular discomforts, such as cramping, tightening, stiffness, tension and knots
- Promotes relaxation
- Assists to relieve many of the normal discomforts during your pregnancy, muscle pain in the lower back, hips, neck and shoulders
- Can assist with relief of Sciatic pain as your uterus grows it could compress the sciatic nerve and expectant mothers may experience sciatic pain down the back of the thigh, lower part of the leg and sole of the foot. Gentle massage can help bring relief by releasing the nerve.
- Assist in reducing swelling (Oedema) in lower legs, ankles and feet
- Increases Blood and Lymph Circulation- helping deliver more oxygen and nutrients to mum and baby, which may help alleviate and reduce fatigue giving more vitality.
- Assisting to alleviate migraine, headaches and sinus congestion.
- Assisting to alleviate shortness of breath- by releasing tension in key respiratory muscles
- May help to alleviate stress and nervous tension, which may improve sleep patterns
- Mother will be encouraged to use nourishing oil to help moisturise and soothe the skin helping the tightness of the skin and stretch marks as your tummy grows.
- Helping to lower blood pressure
- Helping to strengthen the immune system
- Before the Massage
- Before the massage a full consultation will be carried out to ascertain your medical history to make sure you are able to receive a treatment.
- All oils selected by you before the massage are organic and free from any chemicals and these oils are suitable for pregnancy massage.
- If you wish certain areas of the body to be focused on longer please let me know.
- You will be asked if you would like your tummy massaged as this is a very delicate part of your body. I can assure you that you and your baby will love the feeling.
During the Massage
You will be made extremely comfortable in a warm and friendly environment. The massage is carried out by you lying on your side and you are kept very comfortable with lots of cushions. Communication throughout the massage will be paramount making sure that you are free from pain and comfortable.
After the Massage
You will be given time to get up from the couch and get dressed.
You must not get up too fast as this could make you feel lightheaded or disorientated. There will be plenty of water after your massage to help you rehydrate. As massage has cumulative benefits it would be great to schedule another session soon after this one.
Women with normal, low-risk pregnancies can benefit greatly from the variety of massage techniques offered by a professional massage therapist. However, women in high-risk pregnancies should consult their doctor or midwife before beginning one of my massage therapy programs. If you experience discomfort at any time during the pregnancy massage, tell me immediately.